Nowadays Peterhof is a world-famous complex consisting of various palaces and gardens, and it's considered to be one of the most important sights in St. Petersburg and Russia. Before the 18th century its territory was occupied by only a few Finnish villages. It wasn't until year 1705 that the word "Peterhof" appeared in the first travel journal of Peter the Great. The tsar saw this area as a good place to construct a landing for travelling to and from Kotlin island.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10